'A carer is someone of any age who provides unpaid support to family or friends whoc could not manage without this help. This could be caring for a relative, partner or friend who is ill, frail, disabled or has mental health or substance misuse problems.' Carers Trust (formerly The Princess Royal Trust for Carers)
For carers to manage their roles and responsibilies appropriately they need access to up-to-date information; someone to share their worries and concerns with; and some quality time for themselves. It could be the fact that a carer's assessment is required to assist with the range of needs.
What is a carer's assessment?
A carer's assessment is a mechanism used to identify the impact of the caring role upon the carer. It looks at all aspects of the carer's life.
* other caring roles;
* the level of care able to be provided by the carer;
* whether the carer would like to work/return to work;
* whether the carer would like to pursue any training or education courses;
* whether the carer would like to attend any leisure activities;
* the needs and services provided by agencies to the person being cared for.